Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit: Experiences in Glen Ellyn
About the Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit
The Cleve Carney Museum of Art and the McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage (425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, Ill.) will host one of the largest private collections of original artworks by Frida Kahlo in a multifaceted exhibition entitled Frida Kahlo: Timeless. The exhibition, on view June 5 – September 6, 2021, will be the most comprehensive presentation of Kahlo’s work displayed in the Chicago area in over 40 years. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit frida2021.org or call 630.642.4000
Experience Everything Frida This Summer In Glen Ellyn
Murals and Community Artwork
Outdoor Frida Kahlo Mural
The Frida Kahlo mural was designed by Glen Ellyn’s own Geoff Bevington, a Mexican American 2nd generation muralist. The mural was painted primarily by Bevington with some assistance by other artists and local residents, including children. The 14-foot-high and 28-foot-wide mural graces the wall of Olive ‘n Vinnie’s, located at 449 N. Main Street, just south of the Prairie Path.
Indoor Community Mural
A community mural, painted at the Frida Fest kickoff event at the McAninch Arts Center at College of DuPage, is on display in the Internet Lab on the 2nd floor of the Glen Ellyn Public Library, 400 Duane Street.
Festive Flowers and Frida Banners Line the Streets
Community Flower Pots
Bottle & Bottega, The Village of Glen Ellyn Public Works Department and the Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce partnered together to paint 12 Frida themed flower pots, scheduled to be on display in downtown Glen Ellyn beginning at the end of May 2021.
The Glen Ellyn Public Works Department has worked closely with Ball Horticulture on the types and arrangements of flowers to be displayed in the flower pots. The flowers displayed in downtown Glen Ellyn will reflect the Frida-Kahlo inspired garden incorporated into the the Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit.
Shop for Frida Inspired Gifts
Find all your souvenirs and gifts in Glen Ellyn at locations including:
- Gather and Collect, 473 N. Main Street
- The Bookstore of Glen Ellyn, 475 N. Main Street
- Olive 'n Vinnie's, 449 N. Main Street
- M & Em's Children's & Home Boutique, 460 N. Main Street
- The Beer Cellar, 488 Crescent Avenue
- Re:New Project, 483 North Main Street
Custom Menus and Cocktails
A number of Glen Ellyn restaurants and bistros will be hosting Frida specialty menus and cocktails, including:
- Santa Fe Restaurant, 426 N. Main Street, A Frida Flight of Tequila.
- Nobel House, 419 N. Main Street, Braised pork tacos and Hibiscus & Citrus Mint Margaritas.
- Two Hound Red Brewing Company, 486 Pennsylvania Avenue, A specialty brew, “Dia De Los Muertos” a Mexican style dark lager.
- Common Good Cocktail House, 560 Crescent Blvd, Featuring cocktails with an emphasis on lush vegetal and floral garnish and elements inspired by Frida Kahlo.
- Reserve 22 Restaurant, 485 Winchell Way, Featuring "Frida's Tacos" corn tortillas, roasted peppers, squash, tomatillo salsa, cotija cheese, scallions and shredded cabbage.
- ko-ze Wine Room, 484 N. Main Street, Frida inspired wine(s) by the glass.
Designated Ride Sharing
Ride sharing signage and pin locations at the Downtown Glen Ellyn Metra stop and Waterleaf Restaurant, located adjacent to the Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit.
Frida Themed Experiences
Please contact for hours and if reservations are needed.
Find Frida Scavenger Hunt
Locate 20 Frida dolls in participating storefronts downtown. Validate your map to receive a prize. Downtown Glen Ellyn. https://downtownglenellyn.com/events/scavenger-hunt/
Free Frida Movie at the Glen Art Theater
Catch the movie FRIDA for FREE at the Glen Art Theater downtown, every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. June through August. The movie stars Salma Hayek in an Academy Award–nominated portrayal of Frida Kahlo, Rated R
The Glen Art Theater, 540 Crescent Boulevard http://www.glenarttheatre.com/
Paint at Bottle & Bottega
Paint, sip wine and have fun painting a Frida inspired picture.
Bottle & Bottega, 498 Crescent Boulevard https://www.paintingwithatwist.com/studio/glen-ellyn
Frida Floral Bouquet or Head Piece at Green Branch
Walk-in and design to take home your own Frida Floral bouquet or sign-up for a hands on class for a Frida Bouquet or head piece.
Green Branch Florist, 485 N Main Street, Call: (630) 858-7440
Frida Themed Cooking Class at Marcel's
Register For a Frida themed cooking class or grab Frida inspired kitchen or gourmet food items. Marcel’s Culinary Experience, 490 N Main Street https://www.marcelsculinaryexperience.com/
Frida Cocktail Tutorial at Common Good
Take an instructional tutorial and taste a specialty Frida Cocktail, from the professionals.
Common Good Cocktail House, 560 Crescent Boulevard
Group Sales and Charter Buses
Possible example itinerary for group:
- 10 a.m. - Attend Frida Kahlo Timeless – Group Sales contact Kat Kazmierski, firstname.lastname@example.org, 630-942-3026
- 12:30 p.m. – Lunch Reservations at Reserve 22. Group Sales Contact Aimee Detterbeck, email@example.com, 630-469-5550 x223
- 2 p.m. – Stroll through quaint downtown Glen Ellyn to view the Frida murals and flowers, shop and for Frida inspired gifts or sign up for one of the many classes available for groups. Bus parking available.
For additional info contact Dawn Smith, Glen Ellyn Chamber, 630-469-0907, DawnSmith@GlenEllynChamber.com