Refuse, Recycling & Waste
Weekly refuse/recycling collections occur on Mondays (or Tuesday, if Monday is a holiday) and allows for unlimited amounts of recyclables and one wheeled refuse cart per week without a sticker.
Village ordinance prohibits residents from putting garbage, recycling or yard waste out at the curb before 4:30 p.m. on the day before Monday's refuse collection. To ensure refuse is picked up, it must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the collection day (6 a.m. if you are in a construction zone). Carts must be removed from the curb within 24 hours after pickup.
View the Refuse and Recycling Guide (PDF).
If your cart was out by 7 a.m. on the collection day and your pickup is missed or you wish to arrange for a special pickup, please contact the refuse hauler, Groot Industries, at 847-429-7370 before noon the day after scheduled collection.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
Most items are recyclable within the Village's Recycling Collection. Recycling can be co-mingled. Recycling is a free service and residents are encouraged to recycle as much as possible - however, all recycling must be placed at the curb in a recycling cart. Residents may request an additional recycling cart at no charge by calling the Billing and Customer Service Division at 630-547-5235.
- Glass and metal containers and aerosol cans
- Plastics number 1 through number 5, and number 6 (except foamed polystyrene) (including plastic rings, juice boxes, milk and juice cartons)
- Newspaper and mixed paper
- Recyclable paperboard items (food boxes, etc.)
- Corrugated cardboard (no larger than 3-feet square)
- Plastic Bags
- Packing Material/Packing Peanuts
- Non-Rinsed Containers with Food Residue
- Light Bulbs
- Foamed Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Glass (except recyclable glass bottles and jars)
Motor Oil Recycling Collection
The Village of Glen Ellyn offers curbside collection of used motor oil. Residents must place the used motor oil in clearly marked, separate containers not to exceed one gallon.