As part of its Non-response Followup Operation (NRFU), the U.S. Census Bureau is visiting every household that has not already responded to the 2020 Census to ensure a complete and accurate count. Census takers are scheduled to visit non-responding households in Glen Ellyn between August 11 – September 30, 2020.
About Census Takers
- Census takers are hired locally to help you and everyone in your home be counted in the 2020 Census.
- Census takers will follow social distancing protocols and all applicable state and local requirements with regard to health and safety.
- Census takers will wear masks and follow local public health guidelines when they visit your home.
- If someone visits your home this year to collect information for the 2020 Census, check to make sure they have a valid ID badge with their photograph, a U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date. Census workers may also carry Census Bureau bags and other equipment with the Census Bureau logo.
Importance of the Census
To date, Glen Ellyn currently has an 80.3 percent response rate for the 2020 U.S. Census. Studies show that one missed resident translates to a loss of $1,800 a year. Projected over the 10-year life of the census, that’s $18,000 a person in reduced services.
Participation in the Census is of critical importance to the Village of Glen Ellyn. Census data directly impacts local funding, electoral representation and local decisions:
- A complete count helps to make sure our community gets its fair share of more than $675 billion in federal funding per year. These federal dollars are spent on services such as healthcare, transportation, social welfare, schools and more.
- Responses are used to redraw legislative districts and determine the number of seats each state has in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Census data gives community leaders vital information to make decisions about building community centers, opening businesses and planning for the future.
How to Complete the Census
Please fill out the Census online for your household today or call (844) 330-2020 and be counted! The process is quick, easy and safe.