The project, proposed for the former Giesche Shoe site and the Village owned parking lot at 418-424 N. Main Street, features a mixed use building including 8,844 square feet of first floor commercial space and 107 luxury apartment units on the second through fifth floors. Additionally, as part of the project, a two story parking garage will incorporate public parking on the first floor and residential parking on the second floor. The parking intended for public use will replace the existing parking on the site to include a total of 137 public parking spaces.
- September 25, 2019: DuPage County Judge Issues Order Pertaining to Apex 400 Development
- April 11, 2019: Village Board Approves Final PUD Plans
- March 18, 2019: Plan Commission to Consider Final PUD Plans
- January 29, 2019: Village Board Approves Development
Preliminary Planned Unit Development
The petitioners requested approval of a Special Use for a Planned Unit Development and Exterior Appearance approval to construct a five-story mixed use development on the Giesche Shoe property and the Village owned parking lot, generally located at the northwest corner of HIllside Avenue and Main Street.
- Plan Commission reviewed and recommended approval of the project at a Public Hearing on January 7, 2019
- At the Village Board meeting on January 28, 2019, the Village Board granted approval of the following:
- An Ordinance approving a Redevelopment Agreement between the Village of Glen Ellyn and GSP Development, LLC.
- A Special Use Permit for the preliminary Planned Unit Development with deviations.
- Exterior Appearance Approval.
Final Planned Unit Development
During the Final Planned Unit Development approval process, the Plan Commission and the Village Board review if the final PUD plans are in substantial conformance with the approved preliminary Plans. The purpose of these meetings are not to reconsider the special use/zoning entitlements which were previously granted under the preliminary plan approval.
- On Thursday, March 28, the Village's Plan Commission unanimously recommended approval to the Village Board of the Final Planned Unit Development (PUD) plans for the Apex 400 Development.
- On Monday, April 8, the Glen Ellyn Village Board approved the final Planned Unit Development (PUD) plans for the Apex 400 Development.
Meeting agendas and minutes: To view past agendas and minutes related to this project, for both the Plan Commission and Village Board, please visit the Agendas & Minutes page.
Plans and Renderings
- Where is the Apex 400 project located?
- What do the long range Village plans show as an appropriate use of this site?
- How long has this site been vacant?
- What are the current commercial vacancy percentages in the downtown?
- What type of public outreach was conducted surrounding this project?
- What does the residential component of the project entail?
- Is there a need for this type of housing in the Village?
- Has the Village rejected previous development proposals for the site?
- What is the commercial component of this development?
- Will the Village lose any parking as a result of this project?
- How long will the parking structure at this location be under construction?
- Is the Village selling the Main Street parking lot land to the developer?
- How will the public be able to access the first floor public parking?
- Why is the Village not requesting additional public parking to be provided?
- Has a traffic analysis been performed to identify the impact of increased traffic from the proposed development?
- Were the traffic studies conducted on atypical days when some schools had not yet begun?
- How is the building height in comparison to others in the downtown?
- Are the number of zoning requests for this project typical?
- Is the size of the building appropriate for the site?
- Does the building meet the Village’s Appearance Guidelines?